Series 7 and 63 Exam Details
Series 7 Exam Details
The FINRA® Series revised 7, General Securities Representative Qualification Exam, is required of individuals soliciting the purchase or sale of corporate, municipal and U.S. government securities, options, direct participation programs, investment company products, and variable contracts.
On October 1, 2018, FINRA restructured the Series 7 exam. New candidates are required to pass the Securities Industry Essential (SIE) exam along with a Series 7 exam to obtain the General Securities Representative Qualification registration. Kaplan has study materials available for the SIE exam as well as the Series 7 exam.
125 multiple-choice questions
3 hours, 45 minutes
Outline of Topics Covered
- Seeks business for the broker-dealer from customers and potential customers
- Opens accounts after obtaining and evaluating customers’ financial profile and investment objectives
- Provides customers with information about investments, makes suitable recommendations, transfers assets, and maintains appropriate records
- Obtains and verifies customers’ purchase and sales instructions; processes, completes, and confirms transactions
Series 63 Exam Details
The NASAA Series 63, Uniform Securities State Law Exam is required of individuals soliciting the purchase or sale of securities within a state. The exam may be required in addition to other exams.
60 multiple-choice questions
1 hour, 15 minutes
Outline of Topics Covered
- State Securities Acts and related rules and regulations
- Ethical practices and fiduciary obligations
Best Practices Guide
Kaplan has prepared a Best Practices Guide to help you pass the first time! This guide includes recommended study hours, how to use your study materials effectively, and test-taking tips. Access the guide and other free materials here.
Begin Preparing for the Series 7 and 63 Exams
Live and Online Options
Our most comprehensive study package, the Premium Package, has everything you need to effectively prepare for your qualification exam, including guidance from an experienced instructor.
The Essential Self-Study Package gives you the flexibility of studying on your schedule. Planning your exam preparation is made simple with our customizable Study Calendar that schedules daily tasks based on your study time frame and exam date.
The Basic Self-Study Package provides a strong foundation for the self-directed individual who has a proven record of success when studying without the guidance of an instructor. Plan your exam preparation with a customizable Study Calendar based on your schedule and exam date.