Earn Your CFP® Certification on the Accelerated Path
The CFP Board's Accelerated Path allows qualifying candidates to sit for the CFP® exam sooner, speeding their path to CFP® certification.
Candidates who qualify for Accelerated Path can bypass the majority of the coursework CFP Board requires in a standard education pathway, based on knowledge they have gained from other advanced degrees or certification.
Accelerated Path candidates must complete one of the following through a CFP Board Registered Program to be eligible to sit for the CFP® exam:
- a Capstone course or
- a Capstone Alternative course (only for Accelerated Path candidates who also meet CFP Board's experience requirements)
Need a little guidance?
Connect with our seasoned team of Designation Specialists to discuss what course is right for you.
Previous education and licenses may fulfill CFP Board education requirements and allow you to apply for the exam through the Accelerated Path.
To qualify for the Accelerated Path, candidates must have one of the following degrees, designations or certifications:
• CFP certification from the Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd. (FPSB) Affiliate located in your territory of residence outside the U.S.
Candidates who qualify for Accelerated Path are required to take a Capstone course or complete the Capstone Alternative (an option only for Accelerated Path candidates who also meet CFP Board's experience requirement)
Capstone Course (Accelerated Path Candidates)
- General Financial Planning Principles, Professional Conduct, and Regulation
- Risk Management, Insurance, and Employee Benefits Planning
- Investment Planning
- Income Tax Planning
- Retirement Savings and Income Planning
- Estate Planning
Capstone Alternative Course (Accelerated Path Candidates who also meet CFP Board's Experience Requirement)
While most Accelerated Path candidates complete the standard Capstone course, the College also offers an Alternative Capstone. The Alternative Capstone is a reduced course in which the standard 45-contact hours in the Capstone course (normally met by viewing OnDemand class sessions) are not required. Capstone Alternative students will move directly to the final project of creating and presenting a comprehensive financial plan.
In order to qualify for the Alternative Capstone, candidates must:
- Meet CFP Board’s qualifications for the Accelerated Path AND the experience requirement
- Candidates must present a certificate of eligibility issued by CFP Board to enroll in this course.
Learn more about CFP Board's requirements for the Alternative Capstone and submit an eligibility request form, visit the CFP Board website.
Participating in the Capstone Alternative course is different from the standard Capstone course in two ways:
1) Contact hours - The standard capstone course FP517 Financial Plan Development requires 45 hours of classroom contact before students may begin their capstone case study. Participants in the Alternative Capstone proceed directly to working on their capstone project — developing a financial plan. There is no need to meet the classroom contact hours requirement.
2) Eligibility - Students who enroll in the Capstone Alternative course must:
- Qualify for the Accelerated Path
- Meet CFP Board's experience experience requirement and
- Have a Certificate of Eligibility from CFP Board stating their ability to enroll in the alternative capstone program
Students participating in the Capstone Alternative work directly with a dedicated grading faculty member who helps guide you through the course.
To learn more about CFP Board's eligibility requirements for the Capstone Alternative, visit the CFP Board website.
The College also offers the following to Accelerated Path candidates:
- The option to audit previous education courses for $399.50 per course
To refresh your knowledge of the other six education courses, you can take any or all of them on an audit basis for half price as an Accelerated Path candidate. Strengthening areas of weakness could make all the difference!
Each audit course is just $399.50.
- Premium Exam Prep Review for $899 ($1,348 retail)*
We want you to pass the exam—the first time—and we stand behind our Exam Prep Review program. Let our expert instructors refresh your knowledge of key financial planning topics and prepare you for what to expect on the exam. Premium Review for Accelerated Path Candidates is just $899.
Contact a Designation Specialist at 877.599.2669 to enroll with at these exclusive prices. To qualify for pricing, students must call in and purchase both the Financial Plan Development Course & Premium Exam Prep Review at the same time. No additional discounts or corporate rates apply.