Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education

New Hampshire Insurance Continuing Education (CE) Requirements

Mailing / Street Address:
21 South Fruit Street, Suite 14
Concord, NH 03301

E-Mail Address: requests@ins.nh.gov
Business Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Telephone Numbers: In-State and Local: 603.271.2261
Facsimile: 603.271.1406
TTY/TDD Relay Services: 1.800.735.2964
Website: https://www.nh.gov/insurance/
Transcript: http://www.statebasedsystems.com/EdTranscript.htm

Effective January 1, 2015, producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, or negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time, four-hour annuity training course by July 1, 2015. All producers licensed on or after January 1, 2015 must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products.

A person may not sell, solicit, or negotiate a long-term care policy certified as a Qualified Partnership unless he or she is licensed as an insurance producer for accident and health or sickness or under the life line of authority and has completed a one-time 8 hour training course. To remain qualified to sell this product, the producer must receive 4 hours of training every 24 months.

Insurers providing long-term care insurance must obtain verification that the producer receives such training, maintain records, and make the verification available to the DOI.

The satisfaction of these training requirements in any state will be deemed to satisfy the training requirements in New Hampshire. These training requirements may be approved as continuing education courses.

This state has issued a notice reminding licensees who sell flood insurance of their requirement to comply with the minimum 3 hours of training requirements established by FEMA and the National Flood Insurance Program.

Resident Requirements

All producers are required to obtain a total of 24 CE credits in each renewal cycle, which shall include at least 3 but not more than 10 credits in ethics. Any ethics credit earned in excess of 10 credits per licensing period is automatically counted as general producer credit.

All CE requirements must be completed 60 days prior to the expiration date of the license.

If a nonresident licensee has complied with the CE requirements of his or her state of residence or designated home state, he or she will not be required to comply with the requirements of New Hampshire.

Multi-Line and Workers’ Compensation claims adjusters must complete 20 CE hours every two years. Public adjusters are required to complete 15 CE hours. Adjusters must take courses approved for their adjuster license; courses with a credit type of “General” do not satisfy adjuster CE.

Every 2 years, at least 60 days prior to the renewal date of their license, persons holding an adjusters license shall be certified by the insurance department as having completed 20 hours of continuing education instruction. Licensees with workers’ compensation authority shall comply with the approved 10 credit hours of workers’ compensation and 10 credit hours of multi-line requirement. Those licensees without workers’ compensation authority may satisfy their 20 credit hour requirement exclusively with multi-line approved credits or any combination of approved workers’ compensation or multi-line courses.

Non Resident Requirements

Non-resident producers are exempt from CE. Non-resident multi-line and workers’ compensation adjusters who do not have a CE requirement in their home state must comply with the NH CE requirements. Non-resident public adjusters must complete 15 hours approved by the NH Department of Insurance.

Course Repetition

Course repetition is not permitted within the compliance/renewal period.

Exam Rules

Online certification exams are closed book. Course materials are not available while the exam is in progress. The final exam must be passed with a score of 70% or higher to receive CE credit. If the exam is not passed on the first attempt, students have an unlimited number of retakes.

Period Requirements

License renewal date is the last day of the birth month every two years.

New Hampshire licensees and brokers must complete their CE requirements 60 days prior to license renewal every two years. The broker license renewal date is October 1.

Carryover Requirements

Carryover of CE hours is not permitted.

State Reporting Fees

The New Hampshire Department of Insurance requires a course reporting fee of $1.00 per credit hour (online, self-study and classroomf courses). This state reporting fee will be automatically charged to you (on the last credit card used in your account) each time you complete an online, self-study, or classroom course.

Instructor Credit

Individuals acting as instructors for continuing education courses receive the same amount of CE credit as his or her students receive for taking the class.


Courses satisfying the following professional designations may be used to satisfy the New Hampshire CE requirements:

  • CLU
  • ChFC
  • CFP

Acceptable Training Methods

  • Online (Internet Delivery)
  • Correspondence (Print)
  • Company Seminars
  • Classroom
  • CBT/CD-ROM (Computer-Based Training)


This information is based on state laws and regulations and is subject to change. Kaplan Financial Education makes every effort to make sure this information is current and accurate, however, Kaplan Financial Education is not engaged in rendering legal or professional advice and shall not be held responsible for inaccuracies contained herein.