Georgia Insurance Licensing State Requirements
Georgia Insurance Department
How to Get Your Georgia Insurance License
1. Complete an Insurance Prelicensing Course
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- Life: 20 Hours
- Accident & Sickness: 20 Hours
- Property: 20 Hours
- Casualty: 20 Hours
- Personal Lines: 20 Hours
Variable Products: 8 Hours plus life insurance license
Acceptable Methods of Education
- Life and Health: CLU®, FLMI
- Property & Casualty: CPCU®, CIC, CISR, CRM
All Lines: College Degrees in Insurance
- Applicants must attach copy of applicable designation/degree to their license application to qualify for exemption.
- Successful completion of two college or university courses related to insurance in the lines of authority the applicant is applying for may also qualify for an exemption.
Any applicants who have not completed the licensing requirements within 12 months of passing the exam will be required to retake the exam.
Adjuster License Requirements
The Texas P/C Adjuster license is highly respected in the industry and is available to individuals who want to designate Texas as their home state. This means you can qualify for the Texas P/C adjuster license just as a Texas resident adjuster would and complete the Texas bi-annual continuing education requirement.
Kaplan’s Texas P/C Adjuster licensing course and exam is ideal for an adjuster seeking an adjuster license under the DHS concept. The course contains the actual state licensing exam for the Texas P/C Adjuster license; therefore, you can satisfy your Texas prelicensing requirement AND pass the Texas P/C Adjuster state licensing exam without having to leave your home or office. Upon completing the Kaplan course and successfully passing the exam, you can remotely apply for the Texas Property/Casualty Adjuster License using the procedures found on the Texas State Requirements page. This will qualify you to adjust in both your home state and numerous other states that accept the Texas DHS Adjuster license, including AL, CT, DE, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NM, OK, RI, UT, VT, WA, WV, and WY.
Additionally, earning the Texas DHS Adjuster license enables you to adjust with enhanced credibility and industry expertise in CO, DC, IA, IL, KS, MA, MD, MO, ND, NE, PA, NJ, OH, SD, TN, VA, and WI.
Check with the Department of Insurance in your resident state and the states you wish to adjust to see how the Texas PC Adjuster license can be used in those states.
2. Pass Your Georgia Licensing Exam
Certificate of Completion Requirements
- Applicants submits original certificate to the insurance department with their license application.
- Applicants must pass the required examination for licensure within 12 months of the completion of the prelicensing course.
- Candidates who fail the examination three (3) times and had taken a prelicensing course through an independent provider will be required to retake a prelicensing course from a different provider prior to retaking the examination.
- Candidates who fail the examination three (3) times and had taken a prelicensing course via a virtual classroom will be required to retake an in-classroom prelicensing course prior to retaking the examination.
- The state requires those who enroll in the Premium Live Online Package to answer attendance verification polling questions for the entire live online class to earn credit.
Exam Provider: Pearson VUE
To obtain a Licensing Information Bulletin, go to the Pearson VUE website at http://www.pearsonvue.com.
To schedule an exam, contact Pearson VUE at http://www.pearsonvue.com or 800-274-0488.
Primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired)
- Government-issued Driver’s License
- U.S. Dept. of State Driver’s License
- U.S. Learner’s Permit (plastic card only with photo and signature)
- National/State/Country Identification Card
- Passport Card
- Military ID
- Military ID for spouses and dependents
- Alien Registration Card (Green Card, Permanent Resident Visa)
Secondary ID (signature, not expired)
- U.S. Social Security Card
- Debit (ATM) or Credit Card
- Any form of ID on the Primary list
- Studying is not allowed in the test center.
- Visitors, children, family or friends are not allowed in the test center.
- No personal items are allowed in the testing room. Personal items include but are not limited to: cellular phones, hand-held computers or other electronic devices, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, firearms or other weapons, hats, bags, coats, books, and/ or notes, pens or pencils.
- Candidates must store all personal items in a secure area as indicated by the administrator, or return items to their vehicle. All electronic devices must be turned off before storing them in a locker. The test center is not responsible for lost, stolen, or misplaced personal items.
- Dictionaries, books, papers (including scratch paper), and reference materials are not permitted in the examination room (unless permitted by the exam sponsor), and candidates are strongly urged not to bring such materials to the test center.
- Upon entering and being seated in the testing room, the test administrator will provide the candidate with materials to make notes or calculations and any other items specified by the exam sponsor. The candidate may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
- Eating, drinking, chewing gum, smoking, and/or making noise that creates a disturbance for other candidates is prohibited during the exam.
- Break policies are established by the exam sponsor. Most sponsors allow unscheduled breaks. To request an unscheduled break, the candidate must raise their hand to get the administrator’s attention. The exam clock will not stop while the candidate is taking a break.
- Candidates must leave the testing room for all breaks. However, candidates are not permitted to leave the floor or building for any reason during this time, unless specified by the administrator and the exam sponsor. If a candidate is discovered to have left the floor or building they will not be permitted to proceed with the examination and may forfeit the exam fees.
- While taking a break, candidates are permitted to access personal items that are being stored during the exam only if necessary— for example, personal medication that must be taken at a specific time. However, a candidate must receive permission from the administrator prior to accessing personal items that have been stored. Candidates are not allowed access to other items, including but not limited to, cellular phones, exam notes, and study guides, unless the exam sponsor specifically permits this.
- Any candidate discovered causing a disturbance of any kind or engaging in any kind of misconduct—giving or receiving help; using notes, books, or other aids; taking part in an act of impersonation; or removing examination materials or notes from the examination room—will be summarily dismissed from the examination and will be reported to the state licensing agency. Decisions regarding disciplinary measures are the responsibility of the state licensing agency
What is the exam like?
How is the exam scored?
Candidates need to answer 70% of questions correctly in order to pass the examination.
How long is the exam?
|Exam Series||License Line||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|12-GA-01||Georgia Life Agent||2 Hours||80 scored plus 20 pretest|
|12-GA-02||Georgia Accident and Sickness Agent||2 Hours|
80 scored plus 20 pretest
|12-GA-05||Georgia Life, Accident and Sickness Agent||2 Hours||80 scored plus 20 pretest|
|12-GA-03||Georgia Property Agent||2 Hours||80 scored plus 20 pretest|
|12-GA-04||Georgia Casualty Agent||2 Hours||80 scored, 20 pretest|
|12-GA-06||Georgia Property and Casualty Agent||2 Hours||80 scored, 20 pretest|
|12-GA-55||Personal Lines Agent||2 Hours||80 scored, 13 pretest|
|12-GA-41||Georgia Property and Casualty Agent Counselor||2 Hours||100 scored|
|12-GA-40||Georgia Life, Accident and Sickness Counselor||2 Hours||100 scored|
|12-GA-62||Georgia Variable Products||2 Hours||80 scored|
|12-GA-24||Georgia Adjuster||2 Hours||100 scored|
|12-GA-20||Georgia Public Adjuster||2 Hours||100 scored|
|12-GA-50||Georgia Surplus Lines Broker||2 Hours||100 scored|
|12-GA-42||Georgia Insurance Limited Health Counselor||1 Hour||50 scored|