Wyoming Insurance Licensing State Requirements
Wyoming Insurance Department
How to Get Your Wyoming Insurance License
1. Complete an Insurance Exam Prep Course
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- The state of Wyoming does not require prelicensing education.
Although prelicensing education is not required, due to the difficulty and nature of these exams, Kaplan highly recommends enrolling in a study course.
Acceptable Methods of Education
All insurance adjusters in this state are required to be licensed. Check with the Department of Insurance in your resident state to see how to obtain an adjuster license.
2. Pass Your Wyoming Licensing Exam
After completing your exam prep course, you must pass a state licensing exam. Kaplan’s exam prep content is based directly on the Wyoming licensing exams, so you will be prepared to pass the first time.
Exam Provider: Pearson VUE
- To obtain a Licensing Information Bulletin, go to the Pearson VUE website at http://www.pearsonvue.com.
- To schedule an exam, contact Pearson VUE at http://www.pearsonvue.com or 866-936-7786.
After completing my exam prep, how should I prepare for exam day?
Candidate must present two (2) forms of current signature identification. The name on the identification must exactly match the name on the registration. The primary identification must be government issued, photo-bearing with a signature and the secondary identification must contain a valid signature. Identification must be in English.
Primary ID (photograph, and signature, not expired)
- Government-issued Driver’s License
- U.S. Dept of State Driver’s License
- U.S. Learner’s Permit (plastic card only with photo and signature)
- National/State/Country Identification Card
- Passport cards
- Military ID
- Military ID for spouses and dependents
Alien Registration Card (Green Card, Permanent Resident Visa)
Secondary ID (signature, not expired)
- U.S. Social Security Card
- Debit (ATM) or Credit card
Any form of ID on the Primary list
If the ID presented has an embedded signature that is not visible (microchip), or is difficult or impossible to read, the candidate must present another form of identification from the Primary ID or Secondary ID list that contains a visible signature.
Pearson VUE does not recognize grace periods. For example, if a candidate’s driver’s license expired yesterday and the state allows a 30-day grace period for renewing the ID, the ID is considered to be expired.
What is the exam like?
No personal items are allowed in the testing room. Personal items include but are not limited to: cellular phones, hand-held computers or other electronic devices, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, firearms or other weapons, hats, bags, coats, books, and/ or notes, pens or pencils.
- Candidates must store all personal items in a secure area as indicated by the administrator, or return items to their vehicle. All electronic devices must be turned off before storing them in a locker. The test center is not responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced personal items.
- Studying is not allowed in the test center. Visitors, children, family or friends are not allowed in the test center.
- Dictionaries, books, papers (including scratch paper), and reference materials are not permitted in the examination room (unless permitted by the exam sponsor), and candidates are strongly urged not to bring such materials to the test center. Upon entering and being seated in the testing room, the test administrator will provide the candidate with materials to make notes or calculations and any other items specified by the exam sponsor. The candidate may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
- Eating, drinking, or chewing gum, smoking and/or making noise that creates a disturbance for other candidates is prohibited during the exam.
- Break policies are established by the exam sponsor. Most sponsors allow unscheduled breaks. To request an unscheduled break, the candidate must raise their hand to get the administrator’s attention. The exam clock will not stop while the candidate is taking a break.
- Candidates must leave the testing room for all breaks. However, candidates are not permitted to leave the floor or building for any reason during this time, unless specified by the administrator and the exam sponsor. If a candidate is discovered to have left the floor or building they will not be permitted to proceed with the examination and may forfeit the exam fees.
- While taking a break, candidates are permitted to access personal items that are being stored during the exam only if necessary, for example, personal medication that must be taken at a specific time. However, a candidate must receive permission from the administrator prior to accessing personal items that have been stored. Candidates are not allowed access to other items, including but not limited to, cellular phones, exam notes and study guides, unless the exam sponsor specifically permits this.
- Any candidate discovered causing a disturbance of any kind or engaging in any kind of misconduct, giving or receiving help; using notes, books, or other aids; taking part in an act of impersonation; or removing examination materials or notes from the examination room, will be summarily dismissed from the examination and will be reported to the state licensing agency. Decisions regarding disciplinary measures are the responsibility of the state licensing agency.
Candidates will have an opportunity to take a tutorial on the computer on which the examination will be administered. The time spent on this tutorial will not reduce the examination time. The examination administrators will answer questions, but candidates should be aware that the administrators are not familiar with the content of the examinations or with the state’s licensing requirements. Examination administrators have been instructed not to advise candidates on requirements for licensure.
Once candidates are familiar with the computer, they may begin the examination. The examination begins the moment a candidate looks at the first examination question. The time allotted for each examination is detailed on the back cover of this handbook. After the examination time has expired, the examination will automatically end. Candidates will leave the test center with their official scores in hand.
The content of the general examination is based upon information obtained from a job analysis performed by Pearson VUE. Responses from insurance professionals were analyzed to determine the nature and scope of tasks they perform and the knowledge and skills needed to perform them. This information is the basis upon which examination questions are written and ensures that examinations reflect the practice of insurance. The examination has been developed to reflect the laws, statutes, rules and regulations for the practice of insurance in Wyoming, and has been reviewed and approved by Wyoming insurance professionals.
Each major line examination is given in a multiple-choice format and consists of two parts. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, regulations, and practices that are unique to Wyoming.
The passing score for the examination is determined by the Wyoming Insurance Department. Through standardization and control, Pearson VUE ensures that no individual has an unfair disadvantage or advantage because of a particular examination format.
Pearson VUE maintains examination administration and examination security standards designed to ensure that all candidates are given the same opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and to prevent some candidates from gaining an unfair advantage over others because of testing irregularities or misconduct. Pearson VUE routinely reviews irregularities and examination scores believed to be earned under unusual or nonstandard circumstances.
Pearson VUE maintains the right to question any examination score whose validity is in doubt because the score may have been obtained unfairly. Pearson VUE first undertakes a confidential review of the circumstances contributing to the questions about score validity. If there is sufficient cause to question the score, Pearson VUE will refer the matter to the state licensing agency, which will make the final decision on whether or not to cancel the score.
The performance of all candidates is monitored and may be analyzed statistically for the purpose of detecting and verifying fraud. If it is determined that a score has questionable validity, the Insurance Department will be so notified and will determine whether the candidate’s scores will be released.
When candidates complete the examination, they will receive a score report marked “pass” or “fail”. Candidates who pass the examination will receive a score report that includes information on how to apply for a license.
How long is the exam?
|Exam Code||Line of Authority||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|1||Life Producer||2 Hours||100 Questions|
|2||Accident and Health or Sickness Producer||2 Hours|
|3||Property Producer||2 Hours||100 Questions|
|4||Casualty Producer||2 Hours||100 Questions|
|5||Live and Accident and Health or Sickness Producer||2 Hours 30 Minutes||150 Questions|
|6||Property and Casualty Producer||2 Hours 30 Minutes||150 Questions|
|17||Property and Casualty Adjuster||2 Hours||100 Questions|
|30||Credit Producer||1 Hour||60 Questions|
|31||Crop Adjuster||1 Hour||60 Questions|
|32||Crop Producer||1 Hour||60 Questions|
|46||Life and Accident and Health or Sickness Consultant||2 Hours 30 Minutes||150 Questions|
|47||Property and Casualty Consultant||2 Hours 30 Minutes||150 Questions|
|55||Personal Lines Producer||2 Hours||100 Questions|
|82||Surplus Lines Broker||1 Hour||60 Questions|
|83||Title Agent||1 Hour||60 Questions|
|85||Variable Life & Variable Annuity Producer||2 Hours||100 Questions|
|85||Variable Life & Variable Annuity Producer||2 Hours||100 Questions|
3. Apply for Wyoming Insurance License
For more information regarding obtaining a license go to http://doi.wyo.gov.
4. Plan to Complete Required Insurance Continuing Education (CE) Credits
Learn how to renew Wyoming insurance license by clicking here.