Ohio Department of Insurance
Exam Provider: PSI
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- Life - 20 Hours.
- Accident & Health - 20 Hours.
- Property - 20 Hours.
- Casualty - 20 Hours.
- Personal Lines - 20 Hours.
*The Variable Life/Variable Annuity line does not require prelicensing education, but it does require a Series 6 or Series 7 FINRA certification.
Acceptable Methods of Education
*Self-study and online courses require applicants to pass a monitored certification exam.
*Upon registration, the candidate will be provided a Pre-Licensing Education Student Registration Form which must be completed and returned to Kaplan Financial Education according to the directions provided.
Online Course Requirements
- Forced progression: This requires the user to successfully complete each page of the online course before being allowed to proceed to the next.
- Proctor: The certification exam must be monitored by a qualified proctor. See “Certificate of Completion Requirements” immediately below for pertinent details. (Proctor requirements also apply to self-study courses.)
Certificate of Completion Requirements
- *To receive a certificate the applicant must receive a score of 70% or greater on the proctored certification exam given by the approved prelicensing provider. The certification exam must be supervised by a proctor approved by the provider. The proctor will verify the student’s identity and complete a Pre-Licensing Self-Study Affidavit. The affidavit, signed by both the student and the proctor, verifies the student did not receive outside assistance. The affidavit must be returned to Kaplan Financial Education immediately upon passing the self-study examination according to the directions provided.
- A certificate of course completion is issued to the individual at the end of each line of authority course completed and is valid for 180 calendar days.
- Applicant must present the original, unaltered course completion certificate(s) for each corresponding line of insurance authority they are applying for at the exam site.
- In order for a certificate of completion to be earned and issued, the final exam for self-study courses must be monitored by a disinterested third party (someone other than a relative, friend, or business associate).
Exam and/or Prelicensing Education Exemptions
Applicants who have the following designations, certifications, or degrees may have the prelicensing education requirements waived for the indicated line of authority:
- Life, Accident & Health - CLU®.
- Property, Casualty and Personal Lines - CPCU®.
- All major lines of authority (except Surety Bail Bond) - Associates or Bachelors Degree with a major in Insurance.
Note: Applicant must provide verification to the Ohio Department of Insurance and receive the education waiver prior to testing. Each waiver is valid for 180 calendar days, and the applicant must present the original waiver on the day of the exam.
This information pertains to resident license applicants. For additional information for resident licensing, or for nonresident license information, please refer to the Ohio Department of Insurance website at http://www.ohioinsurance.gov.
Product Return / Refund Policy
- Purchases of downloadable products/services are final and non-refundable.
- Web-based Courses and Classes
Web-based courses and classes are only eligible for a refund within 30 days of purchase, and only if the course or class has NOT been accessed. A $20 administrative fee will apply. Web-based courses and classes are not eligible for Reschedules, Transfers, or PassProtection Retakes, as archives are available.
This information is based on state laws and regulations and is subject to change. Kaplan Financial Education makes every effort to make sure this information is current and accurate, however, Kaplan Financial Education is not engaged in rendering legal or professional advice and shall not be held responsible for inaccuracies contained herein.