Montana Insurance Licensing State Requirements
Montana Department of Insurance
How to Get Your Montana Insurance License
1. Complete an Insurance Exam Prep Course
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- The state of Montana does not require prelicensing education.
Although prelicensing education is not required, due to the difficulty and nature of these exams, Kaplan highly recommends enrolling in a study course.
Acceptable Methods of Education
Adjuster License Requirements
All insurance adjusters in this state are required to be licensed. Check with the Department of Insurance in your resident state to see how to obtain an adjuster license.
2. Pass Your Montana Licensing Exam
- Legal name, address, Social Security number, daytime telephone number, and date of birth.
- The name(s) of the examination(s).
- The preferred examination date(s) and test center location(s)
Candidates who wish to make a phone reservation at 800-274-8906 must do so at least twenty-four (24) hours before the desired examination date (unless an electronic check is used for payment, as detailed below).
Acceptable Forms of Candidate Identification
- Primary ID (photograph, and signature, not expired):
- Government-issued Driver’s License
- U.S. Dept. of State Driver’s License
- U.S. Learner’s Permit (plastic card only with photo and signature)
- National/State/Country identification card
- Passport cards
- Military ID
- Military ID for spouses and dependents
- Alien Registration Card (Green Card, Permanent Resident Visa)
- Secondary ID (signature, not expired)
- U.S. Social Security card
- Debit (ATM) or Credit card
- Any form of ID on the Primary list
The following policies are observed at each test center. Candidates who violate any of these policies will not be permitted to finish the examination and will be dismissed from the test center, forfeiting the examination fee.
- No personal items are allowed in the testing room. Personal items include but are not limited to: cellular phones, hand-held computers or other electronic devices, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, firearms or other weapons, hats, bags, coats, books,
and/ or notes, pens, or pencils.
- Candidates must store all personal items in a secure area as indicated by the administrator, or return items to their vehicle. All electronic devices must be turned off before storing them in a locker. The test center is not responsible for lost,
stolen, or misplaced personal items.
- Studying is not allowed in the test center. Visitors, children, family, or friends are not allowed in the test center.
- Dictionaries, books, papers (including scratch paper), and reference materials are not permitted in the examination room, and candidates are strongly urged not to bring such materials to the test center. Upon entering and being seated in the testing
room, the test administrator will provide the candidate with materials to make notes or calculations and any other items specified by the exam sponsor. The candidate may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from
the testing room.
- Eating, drinking, chewing gum, smoking, and/or making noise that creates a disturbance for other candidates is prohibited during the exam.
- Break policies are established by the exam sponsor. Most sponsors allow unscheduled breaks. To request an unscheduled break, the candidate must raise their hand to get the administrator’s attention. The exam clock will not stop while the candidate
is taking a break.
- Candidates must leave the testing room for all breaks. However, candidates are not permitted to leave the floor or building for any reason during this time, unless specified by the administrator and the exam sponsor. If a candidate is discovered to
have left the floor or building they will not be permitted to proceed with the examination and may forfeit the exam fees.
- While taking a break, candidates are permitted to access personal items that are being stored during the exam only if necessary—for example, personal medication that must be taken at a specific time. However, a candidate must receive permission
from the administrator prior to accessing personal items that have been stored. Candidates are not allowed access to other items, including, but not limited to, cellular phones, exam notes, and study guides.
- Any candidate discovered causing a disturbance of any kind or engaging in any kind of misconduct—giving or receiving help; using notes, books, or other aids; taking part in an act of impersonation; or removing examination materials or notes
from the examination room—will be summarily dismissed from the examination and will be reported to the state licensing agency. Decisions regarding disciplinary measures are the responsibility of the state licensing agency
How long is the exam?
|License Type||Line of Authority||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|Resident Producer: Life||General: Life||1 Hour 15 Minutes||No Mention|
|State: Life||45 Minutes|
|Disability||General: Accident & Disability||1 Hour 15 Minutes||No Mention|
|State: Disability||1 Hour||No Mention|
|Property||General: Property||1 Hour 15 Minutes||No Mention|
|State: Property||45 Minutes||No Mention|
|Casualty||General: Casualty||1 Hour 15 Minutes||No Mention|
|State: Casualty||1 Hour||No Mention|
|Multi-Line Adjuster||Multi-Line Adjuster||1 Hour 45 Minutes||No Mention|
|Crop Adjuster||Crop Adjuster||1 Hour||No Mention|
|Public Adjuster||Public Adjuster||1 Hour||No Mention|
|Limited Lines Credit||Limited Lines Credit||45 Minutes||No Mention|
|Surety and Surety Bail||Surety||30 Minutes||No Mention|
|Title||Title||45 Mintues||No Mention|
|Life and Disability Consultant||L/D Consultant||45 Minutes||No Mention|
|Property and Casualty Consultant||P/C Consultant||2 Hours||No Mention|
|Prepaid Legal||Prepaid Legal||1 Hour||No Mention|
3. Get Fingerprinted
Fingerprints are required for all residents. Fingerprints are valid for 12 months. This includes current licensees who are adding a line of authority. Pearson VUE has contracted with IdentoGO (formerly L1-Enrollment) to provide digital fingerprinting at the following test centers:
- Billings, MT
- Missoula, MT
- Helena, MT
- Spokane Valley, WA