Minnesota Department of Commerce
Exam Provider: PSI
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- Life - 20 Hours
- Accident & Health - 20 Hours
- Property - 20 Hours
- Casualty - 20 Hours
- Personal Lines - 20 Hours
All courses include 10 hours of Pre-license Insurance Basics.
Acceptable Methods of Education
Live Class Requirements
- In order to fulfill the required pre-licensing education requirements, the state of Minnesota requires that applicants attend all sessions of the live class and pass an in-class certification exam with a minimum score of 70% or greater. All pre-licensing education requirements must be met in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Online Course Requirements
- Note: This state requires forced progression (requires the user to successfully complete each page of the online course before being allowed to proceed to the next) and that your online study time be tracked. In order to successfully complete the course, you must complete the required number of hours while studying in the Course Contents Units of the online course. Your online course tracker will be displayed in the upper right hand corner of your page so that you can verify the time spent in the course is being tracked.
- Minnesota requires online Certification Exams to be monitored by a disinterested third party. Kaplan offers proctoring services by an approved instructor at no charge at select locations. For information, please contact Kaplan’s Student Support Department at 1-800-824-8742. Minnesota defines a proctor as: "Proctor" means a disinterested third party with no conflict of interest who verifies a student's identity and processes an affidavit testifying that the student received no outside assistance with the course or examination. Relatives, spouses, friends, roommates, and co-workers are NOT acceptable proctors.
Note: For each student, the chosen proctor is required to submit the original signed and dated verification information affidavit to the education provider's MN approved Education Coordinator immediately after the conclusion of the exam.
Certificate of Completion Requirements
- Prelicensing education course provider must submit electronic certification that applicant has completed all prelicensing requirements.
- Candidates must provide proof of prelicensing education at the exam site.
- Currently prelicensing education certificates are valid indefinitely.
Prelicensing Education Exemptions The following are exempt from the insurance prelicense eduction requirement:
- Someone with a two-year Minnesota vocational school degree in insurance
- Someone with a four-year college degree in business with an insurance emphasis
- Life applicants with any of the following professional designations: CEBS, ChFC®, CIC, CFP®, CLU®, FLMI, or LUTCF
- Health applicants with any of the following professional designations: RHU, CEBS, REBC, or HIA
- Property, Casualty, or Personal Lines P & C applicants with any of the following professional designations: AAI, ARM, CIC, or CPCU®
This information pertains to resident license applicants. For additional information for resident licensing, or for nonresident license information, please refer to the the Minnesota Department of Commerce website at http://mn.gov/commerce/industries/insurance/licensing/.
This information is based on state laws and regulations and is subject to change. Kaplan Financial Education makes every effort to make sure this information is current and accurate, however, Kaplan Financial Education is not engaged in rendering legal or professional advice and shall not be held responsible for inaccuracies contained herein.