Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education

Wisconsin Insurance License State Requirements

Wisconsin Office of the Insurance Commissioner
Agent Licensing Section

Address:125 South Webster Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703-3474
PO Box 7872
Madison, WI 53707-7872

Exam Provider: Prometric(Effective 7/1/2014)

Note: Be sure you have completed your license education (the course content in its entirety), taken and passed your prelicensing education Certification Exam, and received your certificate of completion from Kaplan before you take the state license exam.

Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
The following requirements regarding policies, terms, concepts and line-specific insurance law must be completed for each major line of insurance authority being applied for:

  • Life - 12 Hours
  • Accident & Health - 12 Hours
  • Property - 12 Hours
  • Casualty - 12 Hours
  • Personal Lines P&C - 12 Hours

In addition to the above requirements, candidates must also complete:
  • Principles of Insurance, General Wisconsin Insurance Laws, and Ethics - 8 Hours
Note: Once this eight hours is completed it does not need to be repeated for each line as long as all Certificates of Completion are valid. Certificates of completion are valid for one year from the date of course completion. Kaplan’s insurance licensing courses include this 8 hour requirement.

Important: Prelicensing education must be completed and reported to Wisconsin before taking the Wisconsin License Exam. Successful completion requires completing the course content in its entirety and passing the Certification Exam.
State Reporting Fees: The Wisconsin Office of the Insurance Commissioner requires a course reporting fee of $1.00 per credit hour (online, self-study and classroom courses). This state reporting fee will be automatically charged to you (on the last credit card used in your account) each time you complete an online, self-study, or classroom course.

Acceptable Methods of Education
  • Classroom
  • Self-study*
  • Online
* Proctor requirements explained in “Online Class Requirements” below also apply to self-study courses.

Online Course Requirements
  • Per State requirements, to gain access to the required course certification exam, students must first complete the online course in its entirety.
  • Proctor: In order for a certificate of completion to be earned and issued, the certification exam for self-study courses must be monitored by a proctor. The proctor must be a disinterested third party or currently licensed agent with no family or financial relationship with the candidate. A friend can be a “proctor” as long as the friend has no financial relationship with the candidate. The proctor must verify the candidates’s identity and complete an affidavit supplied by the approved provider attesting that the candidate received no outside assistance. Membership in a professional association/organization does not constitute a financial relationship.

Certificate of Completion Requirements

  • Upon successful completion of the education requirement, each candidate receives a Certificate of Prelicensing Education.
  • Education providers are required to electronically bank the candidates’ course information with 10 days of completion.
  • Candidates must present their original pre-licensing certificate in order to test. The certificate must show a state or school letterhead and be signed and dated by the provider. Only faxed, electronic and printed copies are acceptable.
  • Pre-licensing certificates are valid for 1 year from issue date and altered certificates will not be accepted. Candidates will not be able to test without this information being verified.

Exam and/or Prelicensing Education Exemptions**
Candidates may apply for an exemption from the prelicensing education requirements for the indicated lines of insurance authority if they have one or more of the following designations or certifications:

  • Life - CEBS, ChFC®, CIC, CFP®, CLU®, FLMI, LUTCF
  • Disability - RHU, CEBS, REBC, HIA
  • Property or Casualty - AAI, ARM, CIC, CPCU®
Note: Candidates may also apply for an exemption if they have completed a two-year Wisconsin vocational school degree in insurance or a four-year college degree in business with an insurance emphasis.
**Candidates applying for an exemption must submit the appropriate exemption and official documentation. If claiming a degree, the original transcript must be included.

This information pertains to resident license applicants. For additional information for resident licensing, or for nonresident license information, please refer to the Wisconsin Office of the Insurance Commissioner website at http://www.oci.wi.gov.

This information is based on state laws and regulations and is subject to change. Kaplan Financial Education makes every effort to make sure this information is current and accurate, however, Kaplan Financial Education is not engaged in rendering legal or professional advice and shall not be held responsible for inaccuracies contained herein.