California Department of Insurance
Producer Licensing Bureau
320 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
Exam Provider: PSI
- Effective November 13, 2012, residents applying for any license for which an exam is required must pass the exam prior to applying for a license.
- For online registration and exam information, visit PSI’s online service at http://www.psiexams.com.
- For questions about examination scheduling, please call 877-392-6422.
- Only 10 attempts allowed to pass state exam for any line of authority. If after 10 unsuccessful attempts, licensee must wait 1 year from last attempted exam to retake exam.
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- Ethics and California Insurance Code - 12 Hours
- Life - 20 Hours
- Accident and Health - 20 Hours
- Life / Accident & Health - 40 Hours
- Property - 20 Hours
- Casualty - 20 Hours
- Property and Casualty - 40 Hours
- Personal Lines - 20 Hours
Note: The required 12 hours of Ethics and California Insurance Code need not be repeated by those applying for more than one license.
Acceptable Methods of Education
Online Course Requirements
- Time Tracking: California requires that your online study time be tracked. In order to successfully complete the course, you must complete the required number of hours while studying in the Course Contents Units of the online course. Your online course tracker will be displayed in the upper right hand corner of your page so that you can verify the time spent in the course is being tracked.
- Forced progression: This requires the user to successfully complete each page of the online course before being allowed to proceed to the next.
Certificate of Completion Requirements
- Applicants maintain a duplicate copy of the certificate and submit the original Certificate of Completion with their license application.
- Prelicensing certificates of completion are valid for three years from the date of course completion.
Exam and/or Prelicensing Education Exemptions*
Applicants who hold one or more of the following designations or certifications are exempt from prelicensing education requirements for the indicated line of authority:
- Life Only, Accident and Health - CLU®, LUTCF
- Fire and Casualty, and Personal Lines - CPCU®, CIC, AAI
*Even if exempt from the prelicensing requirements of the above indicated line(s) of authority, applicants must still complete the 12 hour Ethics and California Insurance Code course.
This information pertains to resident license applicants. For additional information for resident licensing, or for nonresident license information, please refer to the California Department of Insurance website at http://www.insurance.ca.gov.
This information is based on state laws and regulations and is subject to change. Kaplan Financial Education makes every effort to make sure this information is current and accurate, however, Kaplan Financial Education is not engaged in rendering legal or professional advice and shall not be held responsible for inaccuracies contained herein.