The CSRIC® Designation Versus the Certificate in ESG Investing
Demand for responsible investment options has never been higher. In fact, by the end of 2019, one out of every three dollars being professionally managed in the United States—$17.1 trillion—was invested according to sustainable investing strategies. This is a 42% increase over 2018. What’s more, industry experts confirm that a majority of investors want their investments to incorporate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria. But while advisor interest in responsible investing has greatly increased in recent years, many financial professionals are still unprepared to talk to their stakeholders about it.
If you’re looking to advance your career by earning a credential in responsible investing, we’ve gathered information to help you decide between two of the more popular credential options.
The Certificate in ESG Investing Exam Is Changing. We’ve Got You Covered.
CFA Institute recently announced changes to its Certificate in ESG Investing exam for the 2023 exam window and beyond. One of these changes is an updated curriculum for each exam cycle. You can be confident that Kaplan Schweser is closely monitoring these changes. Our content experts will be adjusting our exam prep materials to ensure you’re studying the content relevant to your exam, giving you the best chance to pass the first time. For complete details on these changes and more, see our blog.
Certificate in ESG Investing
Credential ProviderCFA Institute
What Is the Credential?The Certificate in ESG Investing is a credential individuals can earn to demonstrate their knowledge and use of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors in institutional investment analysis.
Who Should Pursue It?
- Investment professionals who want to understand ESG issues and incorporate these ESG factors into the investment process
- Individuals who work in operations, strategy, or management within the institutional analysis and investment field.
- Length: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- 2022 Format: Online exam with 100 questions (mix of standard multiple-choice and item set questions)
- 2023 Format: Online exam with 100 standard multiple-choice questions
- Passing grade: Varies
- Maximum attempts to pass: 3 within 6 months
Chartered SRI Counselor℠ (CSRIC®) Designation
Credential ProviderCollege for Financial Planning—a Kaplan Company in partnership with US SIF, The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment
What Is the Credential?The CSRIC℠ designation gives financial advisors—who provide advice to help individuals manage their money and plan for their financial future—the background knowledge and situational awareness to help their clients invest in sustainable, responsible, and impact investments (SRI).
Who Should Pursue It?
- Financial advisors and investment professionals who require foundational knowledge of the history, definitions, trends, portfolio construction principles, fiduciary responsibilities, and best practices for sustainable investment.
- Financial advisors who work directly with individual clients and wish to advise them on sustainable investments.
- Length: 3 hours
- Format: Online exam with 70 multiple-choice questions
- Passing grade: 70% or higher
- Maximum attempts to pass: 2
Sustainable Investing Strategies: Source: The US SIF Foundation Report on US Sustainable and Impact Investing Trends 2020, https://www.ussif.org/trends
Kaplan Schweser is a CFA Institute Prep Provider. Only CFA Institute Prep Providers are permitted to make use of CFA Institute copyrighted materials, which are the building blocks of the exam. We are also required to update our materials every year and this is validated by CFA Institute.
CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy or quality of the product and services offered by Kaplan Schweser. CFA Institute®, CFA®, and “Chartered Financial Analyst®” are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.