Academic Policies & Forms


Students currently enrolled in a program offered by the College for Financial Planning® - a Kaplan Company can view academic policies in our College Catalog. Below you'll also find information on important academic forms you might need as a student of the College for Financial Planning®—a Kaplan Company.

When you enroll in the College for Financial Planning®—a Kaplan Company's programs or courses you expressly agree to comply with the operational policies and procedures stated or referenced herein, and with any changes adopted during your term of enrollment. You are expected to notify the College promptly of changes in your address, email, employer, or telephone number.

The College reserves the right to change or amend policies and procedures, testing administration, graduation requirements, course content and materials, and tuition and other fees, as well as cancel a course, without advance notice. Through its academic disciplinary process the College maintains the right to suspend or dismiss any individual who does not comply with its policies and procedures.



Below you'll also find information on important academic forms you might need as a student of the College for Financial Planning®—a Kaplan Company

The State of California established the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) to relieve or mitigate economic loss suffered by a student in an educational program at a qualifying institution, who is or was a California resident while enrolled, or was enrolled in a residency program, if the student enrolled in the institution, prepaid tuition, and suffered an economic loss. Unless relieved of the obligation to do so, you must pay the state-imposed assessment for the STRF, or it must be paid on your behalf, if you are a student in an educational program, who is a California resident, or are enrolled in a residency program, and prepay all or part of your tuition.

You are not eligible for protection from the STRF and you are not required to pay the STRF assessment, if you are not a California resident, or are not enrolled in a residency program.

It is important that you keep copies of your enrollment agreement, financial aid documents, receipts, or any other information that documents the amount paid to the school. Questions regarding the STRF may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education, 1747 North Market Blvd., Suite 225, Sacramento, CA 95834, (916) 574-8900 or (888) 370-7589.

To be eligible for STRF, you must be a California resident or are enrolled in a residency program, prepaid tuition, paid or deemed to have paid the STRF assessment, and suffered an economic loss as a result of any of the following:
1. The institution, a location of the institution, or an educational program offered by the institution was closed or discontinued, and you did not choose to participate in a teach-out plan approved by the Bureau or did not complete a chosen teach-out plan approved by the Bureau.
2. You were enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution within the 120 day period before the closure of the institution or location of the institution, or were enrolled in an educational program within the 120 day period before the program was discontinued.
3. You were enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution more than 120 days before the closure of the institution or location of the institution, in an educational program offered by the institution as to which the Bureau determined there was a significant decline in the quality or value of the program more than 120 days before closure.
4. The institution has been ordered to pay a refund by the Bureau but has failed to do so.
5. The institution has failed to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federal student loan program as required by law, or has failed to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the institution in excess of tuition and other costs.
6. You have been awarded restitution, a refund, or other monetary award by an arbitrator or court, based on a violation of this chapter by an institution or representative of an institution, but have been unable to collect the award from the institution.

7. You sought legal counsel that resulted in the cancellation of one or more of your student loans and have an invoice for services rendered and evidence of the cancellation of the student loan or loans.

To qualify for STRF reimbursement, the application must be received within four (4) years from the date of the action or event that made the student eligible for recovery from STRF. A student whose loan is revived by a loan holder or debt collector after a period of noncollection may, at any time, file a written application for recovery from STRF for the debt that would have otherwise been eligible for recovery. If it has been more than four (4) years since the action or event that made the student eligible, the student must have filed a written application for recovery within the original four
(4) year period, unless the period has been extended by another act of law. However, no claim can be paid to any student without a social security number or a taxpayer identification number.



Following the initial conferment of one of the College for Financial Planning®—A Kaplan Company’s professional designations, authorization for continued use of the credential must be renewed every two years.

Review our designation renewal requirements and complete your renewal online by logging into your student account or by completing this designation renewal form.

If you need to voluntarily relinquish your designation from the College, please complete this designation relinquishment form

Accessibility & Accommodation Requests
Kaplan Professional is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities have full and equal access to our services as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and implementing regulations.

Kaplan Professional will not, on the basis of disability, deny a student access to or otherwise limit a student’s access to or participation in its programs.

Application Process
Download the form here or please contact the Kaplan Special Services Team at to get application emailed to you. Completed application should be directed to:
Fax: (608) 779-8374

Once your application is received, you will receive an email from the Kaplan Special Services Team (KSS) that your application is being reviewed. KSS may ask additional questions to better understand the nature of the accommodations that may be appropriate. Please be sure to include your contact information with your application.

The Kaplan Special Services Team will coordinate with the local service team as necessary to facilitate the accommodation.

NOTE: Kaplan Professional does not arrange accommodations on your behalf with the test administrator for the official exam you are seeking to take. You must separately request accommodations with the test maker. More information on how to apply can be found on their website.


In the event you have a concern or request that cannot be satisfied through adherence to the College's policies, you must submit a formal Extenuating Circumstances Petition detailing, in writing, the situation you feel has not been resolved. Be as specific as possible, outlining the extenuating circumstances you experienced during your enrollment and noting any previous communications with College personnel, including suggested resolutions to and documentation of the situation. You are responsible for completing and submitting the Extenuating Circumstances Petition and all required supporting documentation. An Extenuating Circumstances Petition completed on your behalf will not be accepted. This form can be returned by email, fax, or mailed to the number or address provided.

The Extenuating Circumstances Committee reviews and provides decisions typically within two weeks of receipt of a completed submission, with supporting documentation. The decision of the Committee is final and will be communicated to you in writing.

Complaint Procedures

Individuals authorized to use one of the College for Financial Planning's professional designations are subject to a disciplinary process. Complaints against a designee may be filed by a designee's client, employer, or any other individual with whom the designee has established a formal business engagement for purposes of providing asset management, retirement planning, or financial planning services to that individual.

The College for Financial Planning investigates all complaints and its Ethical Conduct Committee determines whether allegations are justified and whether the conduct warrants disciplinary action.

The College is committed to maintaining accurate student records, including up-to-date legal student names. The following guidelines will assist students in changing their legal name on College records after you have legally changed your name. Requests will update all records, including academic transcripts. Requests for alumni will update records only; if a new certificate or diploma is required a separate order for a new document will need to be submitted. 

Submit a completed and signed Name Change Request Form to request your name be changed on College records. Along with your request, include legal supporting documentation. The College defines legal supporting documentation as one or more of the following: state or government issued ID (such as a driver's license or passport), marriage certificate, divorce decree, birth certificate, social security card or court issued name change. 


Students may request an official transcript from the Registrar's Office in one of two ways:

1. Online via your student portal, or
2. By completing and submitting a Transcript Request Form


A fee of $15.00 per copy is required when ordering and can be paid to the Student Services Department at 1.800.237.9990. 


You are responsible for initiating a request for withdrawal. You will be assigned an enrollment status of "withdrawn" if you voluntarily withdraw from any active College course or program. To voluntarily withdraw, you must complete and sign the College for Financial Planning's Withdrawal Form. This form must be returned by email or fax as directed on the form. Your withdrawal will be effective on the date the College receives your completed Withdrawal Form. A final grade of ‘W’ will be assigned to any withdrawn course.