Posted by: Kaplan Financial Education
Updated: November 8, 2018
Not sure how to use the CFP® marks on your business card? You are not alone. The purpose of this guide is to help you better understand the proper usage of the CFP® marks. This helps CFP Board protect the value of the trademark.
To begin, it is important to know when to use the ® and when to the use the ™. When you spell out “CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, you must use the trademark symbol immediately following it. When you abbreviate to CFP® you must use the registered mark.
When using CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, there are a number of rules you must follow beyond the ™ mark.
Similarly, when using “CFP®,” there are a number of rules you must follow beyond the ® mark.
If you're able to advertise your CFP® Certification, that means it's time to make sure you know about continuing education. You can get more information here.
Which of these five sentences uses the CFP® marks correctly?
1. Sharon Jones became a CFP® in 2009.
2. It took him two tries, but he finally passed the CFP® exam!
3. As a CFP™ practitioner, John recommends you put more into your retirement fund.
4. John Anderson, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER®
5. Find a CFP® professional in your city now.
Answers: 2, 5
1. The registered mark is correct, but this sentence needs one of the approved nouns immediately following it.
3. The noun is correct, but the trademark symbol should be a registered mark.
4. The registered mark should be a trademark symbol.
CFP Board also requests that individuals use the trademark tagline in their marketing materials whenever possible. The tagline is:
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, CFP® (with plaque design) and CFP® (with flame design) in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
Did you know you can send CFP Board business materials for their review to ensure you are using the CFP® marks correctly? You can! Simply give them a call at 800-487-1497 or send them an email at email@example.com.
For more information, you can visit their page here: https://www.cfp.net/for-cfp-professionals/marketing-toolkit/how-to-use-the-cfp-marks
Kaplan Financial Education is a CFP® exam prep provider. We have required education and exam review solutions to cater to all learning styles! Check our our CFP® certification programs today!